Friday, May 15, 2009

Think Before You Talk.

I have certainly been known to stick my foot in my mouth a number of times. While I consider myself to be a high self-monitor, I've been guilty of saying the first thing that comes to mind...which isn't always the thing you should say out loud.

Having triplets I've experienced a lot of comments, questions, and intrusions into my personal life by complete strangers. Most are well-meaning so I answer as nicely as I can and move on. But people, the lady I talked with today takes first place in the bizarre question category. So much so, I immediately had to call Brian and relay the odd conversation.


But, I'll just let you be the judge. (Wording has been a bit paraphrased)

This particular conversation occurred on the way to my car. She was a middle-aged nice woman who was helping me to the car with my groceries. We were at Market Street where they do not have any outside grocery cart receptacles so the employees follow you to your car and bring the cart back. She appeared to be of sound mind. I have no reason to think otherwise anyway. I have inserted my inner dialogue in italics...


Shopping Cart Lady: "Hey, Wow, Your kids are really close in age."

Me: "Yeah, they're triplets. "

Shopping Cart Lady: "Really? Are you sure? I thought they had to all be exactly the same to be triplets."

Me: "No, they can all be different, I have two boys and a girl. None of them are identical."

Shopping Cart Lady: "Yeah I guess you're right" You think? "Those people on that show with all the kids have both boys and girls." I'm guessing John and Kate plus 8...and those are technically sextuplets... "But wow, I've never actually seen any real live triplets up close."I've actually heard this one before...but you still want to ask if she's seen any dead ones, right?... And really, what are we lady, a zoo exhibit?


Me: "Well, yeah..." Honestly I just have no idea how to respond here

Shopping Cart Lady: "So, wow, they're like normal sized. I mean that's how big a normal kid is right?" Even my inner dialogue is speechless at this point.

Me: "Yeah, they're normal kids there's just three of them. They're actually kind of big for their age."

Shopping Cart Lady: "Huh. What's their names?"


Me: "Lily, Jack, and Ben."


Shopping Cart Lady: "So you have to have a favorite...Which one's your favorite?" This is insane...I'm blogging about this tonight.


Me: "I guess it depends on the day..."


Look pretty normal to me!






O.k., this one might be a little loopy...


6 comments:

Hagen and Mason said...

I've been to market street a few times, I really like their organic sections... but I have to tell you some of their 'sackers' are a little different. I only have twins, but I got a girl once that seemed a little confused that they looked so different but they were the same age. I love your story though!!! Made me laugh out loud.

Hollee said...

Great story...love your comments!

Hollee said...

Great story...love your comments!

JAMIE'S CREW said...

I have boy/girl twins and have many, many times been asked if they are identical. Really. People asked that. WTH?

Theresa said...

Uh, yeah...weirdo.

Heather Anderson said...

That is absolute greatness, you can't make that stuff up.