Friday, April 17, 2009

So How Does One Go Shopping With Triplets???

I've been to WalMart and Central Market several times with the babies, but I always had to unload the stroller, put them in it, then load it back up when we were done. It's just a lot of work for a very short amount of time. It's also not feasible to buy a large quantity of items because there's nowhere to put them. Unless you push the stroller and pull the cart behind you. Which some parents of multiples have to do. For reals.


Since we are now at of RSV season. (Yippee!) I feel fairly safe about putting them in a shopping cart now, I just wipe it off with a Clorox wipe before I load them in. There's a few logistical issues with a regular old shopping cart, however.


How about this picture below of the babies first shopping trip to Target. Notice we are breaking every single safety rule possible. No seat belts, standing in the cart, children in the cargo area. Oh yeah, we are flirting with danger.




After this trip, which was the quickest trip to Target EVER, I decided I had to rethink this. I didn't even buy anything. In all honesty, I just wanted to see if it could be done. It can and I did. There is, however, NO WAY I could have bought very much. It would have had to fit UNDER the cart for sure.

Clearly a weeks worth of groceries could not be purchased using this method.

Which leads me to our next adventure.


Shopping for groceries at WalMart. It makes you afraid just reading that doesn't it??? It should.


We've gone twice now. The first time was a little scary, not going to lie. We worked out a few kinks for the second trip. Here's how it can be done:

1. Use the Special Kid-Friendly Cart. Our Walmart has a whole row of special carts with two plastic seats on the back. Unfortunately they are located INSIDE. So, it's best to go after lunch when you can be sure at least one or two of these carts will be located in the cart holders in the parking lot. I did quite a bit of driving around the parking lot this last time, but it was worth it. It's better to load them in by the car. Otherwise you have to wipe down a regular cart, put them in, go inside, wipe down another cart, then strap them in. It's just wasted time.

2. Bring your own seat belts. Through our restaurant travels I've figured out that seat belts in public places only work about 50 percent of the time. Not great statistics when you have 3 children that need seat belts. The initial trip to Walmart included a very faulty seat belt for Jack which became a real problem at the check-out line. After the first trip I figured out that I had to bring my own. So I did. Brian bought me some belts from REI that work great. Technically you are not supposed to put a kid up top where a kid would normally sit b/c there's no leg holes. We do it anyway. I just belt them in for safety with my nifty REI belts.

3. Make a list. Organize it by isle/area. If you don't you will forget something important. Like milk. It is easy to get distracted when there is SO much going on in front of you. Lily wanted to stand up and kept reaching for things in the basket. Bennie kept sliding down and strangling himself with the belt. Jack was busy waving to EVERYONE and saying Hi! Thank goodness for the little man at the front door who gave them stickers which occupied them for at least 5 minutes.

4. Wear your tennis shoes and walk real darn fast. For some reason the faster you go the quieter they are. Weird, huh?

I'll take pics of them in the cart soon. It's just been a little too hectic to get it done so far.

3 comments:

Crazy May Days said...

Ahhh... now this I understand. Stef, it really is an art form. I wish Kelly had an idea of what it was like. We too have started buying groceries at Walmart and produce at Newflower/Whole foods. Two trips to the store in one week = twice the fun. I am notorious for driving like 15 minutes in the parking lot looking for the cart I need and a spot next to the shopping cart holder. We too are cargo standers as well... I have learned it takes quite a bit to get a brain injury :)

Allison said...

You're braver than I am. I still won't attempt this. If we do bring them to the store, Daddy comes with me! :)

Emily said...

I meant to comment on this a long time ago, but you amaze me!!! Seriously, I'm so impressed!!! I hope that you had a wonderful Mother's Day!!!!