Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Patience is a virtue that I don't have...

Sitting at home alone is not good for impatient people. At least not good for this impatient person.


I am WAITING for week 30 to be over. This is my first big goal. It's SO close. It's actually on my Dad's b-day, November 1st...7 whole days away. Please, please, please pray for all of us that we achieve this goal! Not that the babies would be completely out of the woods for any complications, but they would be very close. Good weights, more developed lungs, and stronger.


Hopefully this won't jinx me, but it hasn't been all that awful. Obviously, I'm uncomfortable at times for a variety of different reasons-but none of the extreme side effects that I had read about. Lots of women seem completely miserable and I just haven't been. Now don't get me wrong, I am extremely whiny and pitiful at times, but looking back (which is always the best view) I have been SO lucky. With the one exception of the contractions. They drive me CRAZY. I don't care how much they tell me not to worry about them, they still make me worry.


The funny thing is, I actually like being pregnant. It might have been easier with just one, but would it have been as exciting? I think not. Do you know how wimpy people are that just have one at a time? Not to mention extremely inefficient. I'm still plugging along, at a much slower pace, but not ready for them to be here. I wonder when it will happen? When I will decide I have had enough and I want them out? I like them, which is good. I love feeling them bump around and know when they are awake or sleeping. Besides, I know they will be a lot more needy when they escape! It's really crazy to know that we are almost to the point when it could happen at any moment.

I have been thinking so much about this during the last few days. Right now the easiest option is still for them to hang out with me a few more weeks. I can't tell you how many times during the day I calculate and recalculate dates and weeks, and try to guesstimate when they might show up. I've even asked the Magic 8 ball and it keeps giving me different answers no matter how carefully I word the questions!

So what will it be? When will they get here? Will I really make it to 36 weeks? I just have a feeling I won't. I'm not sure why but it just doesn't feel like I will go quite that long. 33-34 weeks has been stuck in my brain since we started on this journey so many months ago. Wow-that's not far away. About 4 weeks. 28 days. Thanksgiving.

I think I might have reached a state of discomfort that will allow me to let go of them by then. It is still very tolerable now. I'm swelling a lot more. It's fairly painful for me to get out of bed in the morning. I have to uncurl my puffy, swollen, aching hands-muster A LOT of energy to roll over-stand up-and put weight through my aching knees and screaming feet. Then I just sit on the edge of the bed trying to get up enough energy to waddle to the bathroom...yet again. I pretty much waddle everywhere now. Apparently putting on over 60 pounds pisses your lower body off. Things just don't move like they used to! I had read that I would have problems putting on weight the last few weeks because it would be hard to eat, etc. No problems here.

I haven't had problems sleeping until the last week or so. It's actually not because I'm uncomfortable. I have to get up every hour to go to the bathroom. Huh. I just assumed that people couldn't sleep because they were ginormous and uncomfortable. I wish I had space diapers sometimes. I definitely don't feel rested in the morning, but I'm going on a few weeks with no REM sleep so I guess that makes sense. I do catch myself snoring in the mornings after Brian leaves...PLEASE no one tell him because I've been on his case about his snoring for years! I now have a permanent red mark across the bridge of my nose because I wear a breathe-right strip to bed every night... The most bizarre side effect is the fact that the inside of my nose swells up and I can't breathe. Does this make any sense at all? It's almost a little cruel, isn't it? Is there any doubt that God is a man? Apparently all of the extra hormones that are flying around in my body make mucous membranes swell. Oh yes, and the infamous carpel tunnel. I am having some tingling/numbness in my right hand-but no pain. But-like I said, everything is tolerable, and sometimes just funny. And it will go away!

I was very worried about being out of shape and completely worn out after they were born. I just don't see how that will be possible, though. Think how much energy it takes for me to do anything with all of this extra weight. My heart is constantly racing during normal, every day activities like taking a shower or folding laundry. I'll probably lose a good 40 pounds just with their births when you calculate their weights, placenta weights, blood-loss, amniotic fluid loss, and let's not forget all of the extra water I seem to be carrying around. Can you imagine what it will be like to stand up for the first time without my huge belly? Talk about a center of gravity change. Will I fall over? So crazy.

No comments: