Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You....

Thanks to MawMaw & PawPaw and Nonnie and Poppie for taking good care of these little future Longhorns while we went South for the weekend.

Brian and I caught the opening UT game, which was no where near as blistering hot as we thought it would be. I was prepared to sweat like crazy and it wasn't that bad. We went down for the weekend with our friends Jason and Kim. We hit Trudy's before hand and enjoyed some Mexican Food. A fantastic day filled with good friends, good food, and a good game. Which, of course we won, against some team I had never heard of before. We did spend quite a bit of time stuck in traffic, and there is a strong possibility I broke a few laws while finding a parking spot, but I did find the very last spot on the top of a nearby parking garage. Of course, I also got stuck for an hour trying to get out of said parking garage. We finally just parked a whole floor down (yes it took an hour to make it only one floor) and enjoyed a local pub while waiting for the traffic to die down. Worked like a charm!
We stayed in New Braunfels at a nifty little rental house on the river that Brian found. It was the perfect place to relax and replenish my sleep.


And...the REAL reason for the trip??? A visit to a few of our fine State's finest BBQ joints. The first stop was Smitty's Market in Lockhart, TX.



After a shocking wait in front of a blazing hot pit fire (Brian and Jason) I see Brian emerge from behind the double doors with a heck of a lot of meat wrapped in brown paper. Kim and I were holding seats in the common area. He carried it like carries his own babies. Carefully...very carefully. It contained a selection of Smitty's finest...perhaps cut by Smitty himself (an unusually slow older gentleman, thus the 45 minute wait). Smitty's is consistently on the top 5 list each year and was well worth the wait, even if I just sat in the AC and sipped my Pepsi. Hey-it was entirely too hot in that room and there's just no reason we all had to suffer, right? Your only utensils are spoons for the beans and a knife to cut the sausage up. Other than that you had to use the two hands that God gave you to stuff mass amounts of meat in your mouth. It was fantastic. The overall favorite was the ribs. My second favorite thing was the sausage. Pure greatness.
The next stop was Cooper's in Llano. Again, another wait, but at least not in an actual oven. I LOVE their BBQ sauce. The brisket was my favorite there. The best part is that they will soon have a store in Dallas. I can't wait!

We took the scenic route back. As good as it is to get away for some much needed rest, I miss those babies so much. They are a lot of work and some days can be exhausting but they are the joys of my life and being away from them is just so hard. I know it is good for all of us to have some time to be spoiled, though. I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't the only one driving I might have snuck home Saturday night. They probably would have told me to go away because they were enjoying all of the spoiling they were getting!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are just the cutest little longhorns ever!!!
Thanks for spending my birthday with me. Ya'll are all awesome!!
Love, Nonnie