Tuesday, August 12, 2008

On a serious note.

Most days go extremely well. Some just don't. Since the beginning of time, every mother out there has had a few moments of complete, utter, insane, exasperation. Often these moments are preceded by...spitting food, whining, not eating, playing in throw-up, crying, and not napping...for me. It's funny how some days it's funny, some it's an inconvenience...and some you want to go and run and hide under the table because it all seems like too much. How does that happen? If I knew I would be rich from writing self-help books. There are other factors, of course. Not sleeping well, hormones, hunger, fatigue, all good things on which to blame the lack of tolerance.

Men don't get it. They just don't. I'm sure they have felt the same short-temper at some time in their lives, but they just don't seem to dredge up that particular memory when you are venting to them at 8:00 in the morning...already...literally an hour and a half after waking up. I'm also fairly certain the only thing on any sane husband's mind at this point is to get the hell off of the phone as quickly and nicely as possible. Can't say he's not smart.


But then, at the end of my day, God gave me a little reminder at how very lucky I am to be living in every single moment-both good and bad. I have three healthy, beautiful, perfect little people...who can be pains...but at least at this point they don't mean to be...they are just simply being babies.


I just read about another triplet Mom who delivered her babies at 26 weeks and 4 days, and one of her boys passed away after 4 days. It just stopped me. I felt so terrible that I had let myself get so frustrated. I felt sad that I could let myself even go there. I felt thankful for each moment the day had brought me. I felt hopeful for tomorrow. I felt happy that I not only get to feel each difficulty of being a mother of three, but I get to feel every joy, every touch, and every piece of food that hits me in the face. It's all good. It's all part of it.


Besides, there will be a day when they are not babies. There will be a time when they are five and they are deliberately doing things they know they should not. They will be teenagers some day who deliberately don't do things they should. Someday I will not be the center of their world and then I will really be sad.


I'm counting my three blessings right now. I'm hoping that tomorrow brings a better attitude, better insight, and a better way to handle the emotions that come with trying to raise little beings that have their own minds. I'm only good at so much...but I want to be the very best at this that I can possibly be. Is that really too much to ask? Probably.
Can you believe it's even possible to have a short temper with these dreamy eyes...
Or this cute little butt....
Or this sweet little smile?
I certainly can't...now that they are tucked nicely in bed for the next 12 hours....

5 comments:

Crazy May Days said...

I 100% believe that it is the hard days that shape us in to the best of parents. Hard days are what make you relish in the happiness of better days. And years later looking back...I think it will be the memories of the hard days that remind us just how strong we truly are.

*** I know it is silly but I get so excited when I see other kids wearing the same outfits as my children. For some reason, I just get this little rush of happiness...wierd.

The Texas Trio said...

I always say the hardest thing I do every day being a stay at home Dad of Triplets is to forgive myself. Without God's Grace the days would pile up and become unbearable.

Mine are doing things they know they shouldn't before they are two:)

Hang it there, it gets a lot more fun!

Al

Jeni said...

Stef, those are the days I want to crawl under a rock and forget I have a family. Not a day goes by that I don't second guess myself, judge my own actions, or regret losing my temper with the boys. But at the end of the day, there is satisfaction in knowing that even though I lost my temper or allowed myself to get frustrated for whatever reason, I am still the best Mom I know how to be and I have two miracles to show for it. I love them dearly and I know they love me back. Your perspective is great and should be applauded, but that won't stop you from having more days like this one. Take it in stride and – as you already mentioned – live for bedtime on days when their evil twins show up. Bedtime is what keeps me sane. =)

Sara said...

When I am checking on Mady for the 5th time in the evenings, I will look down at her, sleeping like a little angel. This is when I know I am blessed and my world is right. Whatever happened during the day is all forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Look at those beauitful babies...I hope today is a better one for you and them...Take a big deep breath and remember every day is a blessing (good and bad). We love you and our babies!!!!