Monday, August 4, 2008

Islands In The Stream...

That Is What We Are....

Once in a while a good friend comes by that you will have for a lifetime. You know, the kind of girl who always wanted Ralph Macchio to be her boyfriend, who would sit and sing "Islands In The Stream" for hours upon hours with you, and who managed to memorize a completely inappropriate country song (about binge drinking, if I remember correctly) entitled "Drinkin' My Baby Goodbye" by Charlie Daniels Band.

Oh, the good memories we shared.

I can fondly remember lazy summer afternoons playing "Little House On The Prairie"...of course she was the pretty one so she got to be Mary. I can also remember our cabbage patch kids, our secret club, and ice skating. For the life of me, however, I can't remember her pretend dress up name...I do remember mine...Electra Vanderbilt. Oh yeah, there was also cow tongue and rock polishers...have those two things ever been used in a sentence together?

She moved away to Kansas when we were 12, leaving me heartbroken. We were re-united in college...and this past week we were re-united again.

We've been friends for, oh...around 27 years or so? Man, we're old, huh? We recently got back in touch with each other when I was phenomenally and largely pregnant. She came to visit me last week and got to meet my kiddos...and it was great to see her. She and her family were an important piece to me growing up to be the wonderful person that I am (no snickering). It's a very special thing....to have a very special friend...who has played a very special part in my life....and who I am glad to have back in my life. I've decided not to let her go again. I don't care what she says. So, could you get your butt back to Texas?

Now....


Then...
Yeah, even with all the spit up in my hair...I think I'll stick with my new 'do.

3 comments:

Tripletblessed said...

Aww to reunite with old friends! Sounds like you had fun I'll help drag her back if you want?

Sorry I haven't called life has been crazy! Will try to call you tomorrow!

Jeni said...

O.M.G. You had me crying until I got to the freakishly scary Little House dress-up attempt. We were SO hot. WHERE did you find that pic?!? Thanks for dredging up memories that it has taken years of therapy to erase. =) I love ya girl. You mean the world to me and I am SO thankful to have you back. Thanks for letting me steal a few precious moments with your babies. Made me want another one. But only one. =) You are MUCH better at pacifier whack-a-mole than I will ever be. Hugs back at ya.

Jeni said...

P.S. I still have the cassette tape of us singing Islands in the Stream, so I s'pose that will make great blackmail material for someone one day. I STILL love Ralph Macchio as he is one of my MySpace friends. Yes, I know that's sad and slightly pathetic, but then I guess if I set my sights low enough I won't be too disappointed in life. And lastly, I still know the words to Drinkin' My Baby Goodbye, only now I have added Ice Ice Baby to my repertoire. Always good to branch out, you know.

P.S.S LOVE the new background. Where did you find it? And how did you do it? I need Blogger for Dummies.