Tuesday, June 2, 2009

We're Home!!!

Vacations just aren't the same when you have kids.

Pre-triplets we booked trips way in advance, couldn't wait to leave, stayed as long as we could, and didn't want to come back home. This time I held off as long as I could to give Brian the go-ahead to book, didn't start to pack until roughly 8 hours before we left for the airport, and couldn't wait to get home to see my sweeties.


However, we did have a fantastic time. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of our wonderful family who made it possible for us to have some time to ourselves. Thank you Brian for convincing me that this was a good idea...because it really truly was. The last vacation that we had all to ourselves was when I was about 8 weeks pregnant, which was a long time ago.

And, let's be honest, the kids were apparently having way too much fun to even notice we were gone. MawMaw and PawPaw kept them busy with trips to Bass Pro, Cabellas, and the park Nonnie, Poppie, and Grandmother took them on a train ride, to the park, and bought them a kiddie pool for the back yard. And...I'm fairly sure everyone was completely and wonderfully spoiled. Which is exactly how it should be.


As for me, I enjoyed the time with my hubbie. It's amazing how much of our lives are spent tending to our children which doesn't leave a lot of time for us. When we do have time together we're exhausted from chasing toddlers and working. We relaxed, hiked, drove along the coast, surfed (Brian, not me...), hung out on the beach, went sight-seeing, and ATE lots of great seafood.

We arrived in Seattle Wednesday morning, rented a car, and headed south to Oregon. We stayed in Gearhart in a condo on the beach. The beach was beautiful. We spent the first two days driving the coast, stopping when we wanted, and enjoying the scenery. Life at our own pace. Not so bad, huh?



The next day we made our way down to Tillamook...home of the famous cheese factory. We then headed back North to Oswald West State Park, home of Short Sands Beach. Brian rented a board and wet suit so he could get his annual wave fix. There is NO WAY you could have gotten me to get in that freezing water but he spent hours out there. We're a perfect match. He spends his time surfing and I spend my time relaxing on the beach and reading. Paradise.

Friday we drove back to Seattle and did some sight-seeing.




Saturday we took the ferry to Bainbridge Island and got some amazing views of Seattle, including Mt. Ranier.
We also saw a rather unique form of advertising.



The weather was unseasonably warm and sunny the entire time. Some people (not me) were even wearing bathing suits on the beach. Everything was just wonderful. The only hitch was that my suitcase went to Philadelphia instead of coming home to Dallas, guess it didn't want the vacation to end. Thanks to US Airways it was on my porch Monday morning.



Again, thanks to everyone who made this possible. When Brian and I weren't being mushy about how much we missed the babies we were being thankful for all of the support we have. As for the babies...I don't think they ever even noticed we were gone because they were having so much fun. All of us were completely spoiled when the trip was over...which is exactly how it should be!



Rhonda let me copy some pics they took while we were gone. See? They were having a blast!







Except Bennie...who wasn't so sure about the Zoo train!



3 comments:

Jeni said...

LOVE it! You look awesome and the kiddos couldn't be cuter! Glad you got some much needed R&R. Next time you need a road trip – come see ME!!!! Not quite as fancy as the Oregon coast, but I'll leave a mint on your pillow. =)

Aunt Dorothy said...

Great pictures. Glad you and Brian were able to get away for a few days. The children are so adorable.

Emily said...

I loved looking at all of your pictures!! So happy to hear that you guys had such a great time and the kids had fun too!