Friday, March 20, 2009

Lunch With The Girls.

So, I must admit, while I have taken RSV and Flu season VERY seriously, we have been on several public excursions over the months. There simply is a balance between obsessively worrying about them coming into contact with germ-filled people and setting them loose to lick public toilets. I, of course, have not let them do the latter.
We go walking A LOT, but have always done that. I've recently set them free at a few local playgrounds, early in the morning before any kids can get there to snot all over anything. Oh yeah, Clorox wipes are my best friend. The are portable and kill everything. So, I keep a super-sized pack in the stroller. They are all pretty mobile and love to climb so I usually get my daily workout as well trying to keep them from scaling rock walls and running into moving swings. Bennie's poor head has been the only casualty so far when he attempted to head butt said rock wall. His head lost. Ouch.

I've tried to pick places where they don't have any contact with people. So, pretty much they just ride around in their stroller, people watch, and enjoy a big old cup of juice. They're happy and I'm happy. So far it's been fantastic. I get out of the house, sometimes meet my friends, and I am able to do a little shopping. The good thing for my husband is that I can only hold so much when pushing around a 100+ lb stroller. But hey, I get my fix so it's enough for me.

We've gone to GardenRidge, Kohl's, several local Malls, JoAnn's, the Fort Worth Zoo, Sam's, and the Grapevine Antique Mall. For parents of multiples I do not recommend going to antique malls. I never realized how quiet they were. I also never realized how loud my children were. Pretty sure everyone could hear Lily screeching at the top of her lungs. Oh yeah, and they like to stick both hands out the sides of the stroller and GRAB anything at their level. Not good to be around breakable stuff when that happens. Probably won't be going back there anytime soon.

My basic rule is that no one touches them and if I touch ANYTHING I use the hand sanitizer I keep in the stroller. So far so good. While I do attract attention I haven't had anyone try to touch them. Mainly because I don't slow down long enough for them to catch up to us. The only problem areas are usually check-out lines. It seems like most people have been pretty respectful and I can't say that I've had any big problems. I can usually combat most of the attention by either not making eye contact and going on my merry way or by smiling and walking as if I am in a hurry. Now I really don't want to seem rude, but if I stopped at every person that made a comment or wanted to talk I would never get anything done. I'm also not one to make a lot of conversation with strangers, it just makes me nervous, can't help it. Plus, I just don't feel it's all that normal for people to stop and gawk at my kids, for them or me.

As they've gotten older I've got a bit braver. We've actually taken them to a few restaurants lately. I was SO nervous to do that. Mainly because I was increasing the chance that they could come into contact with stuff I don't want them to. But hey, every time they go to the stinkin pediatrician's office for a shot they end up getting sick. I was also nervous, however, because I could see all of the things that could go wrong. Food flying, kids crying, things being thrown, and trapped by people wanting to talk to us.

I am happy to say it has not been at all like that. Well, except for the food flying. We do leave an exceptional mess everywhere we have eaten so far. But I don't worry about that too much. The most important part is that they really seem to have fun. So far it's been great. I'm sure I do look like a freak because I wipe the table, the highchair, and everything within reaching distance down twice with Clorox wipes.

First we went out with a big group of family, next we went with Brian's Dad so there was one adult to each baby, then Brian and I attempted it by ourselves a couple of weeks ago. Besides the clean-up guy at Market Street that cornered us and would not quit talking, it has been great.

So, all of this has been leading up to this....

Today, I did it by myself! Yep, I took them to Grapevine Mills where I met with some of my girlfriends and had lunch. Go Me!!! I was so nervous but it worked out perfectly. Normally we walk around and I have to rush back home to get lunch in the babies because they are cranky and tired. Today we shopped, had lunch, shopped a bit more, got in the car, and I put them straight down for their nap when we got home.


Our only big adventure was that the highchairs had no seat belts which just made no sense whatsoever, right? I mean isn't it instinctive for toddlers to stand up in chairs? Maybe that's just my kids. As long as I kept a steady stream of food coming their way they pretty much kept their bums in the seats. Thank goodness Shelley had a few toys for her daughter Ryland that she let me borrow because I forgot the restaurant toy bag! I just can't seem to remember it all. Notice Ben chewing on plastic bag from my purse. Hey, he didn't know it wasn't a toy!



Yep, Lily has my keys...
So, good for me, bad for Brian because I love to eat out and I'm definitely doing it more. Ha Ha. It's so funny that prior to having triplets I would have never thought that eating out would elicit any sort of stress. I'm sure it's like that for anyone who has more than one child. It's scary to be outnumbered by wild unpredictable beasts. (Don't they look scary!)




Hope all of you have a great weekend, we're heading to my parent's house at the lake. Brian's family is going as well so I'm guessing we will get to sleep in!!! Hopefully I will return well-rested and ready for another fun-filled exciting next week. Love ya'll!

2 comments:

Heather Anderson said...

Love your blogs girlie! They are few and far between but so worth the wait. Wish I could write like you. You are a stand up comic mommy! Miss seeing you!

Jeni said...

Good for you, Stef! You're a pro! Glad you are able to have a life during quarantine season. I think I'd go nuts.