Tuesday, October 14, 2008

LOCKDOWN!


I just can't believe it's already here. I should have posted this two weeks ago, but I think I was in denial. RSV season began October 1st here in Texas.

For those of you who don't know what RSV is...click here. Note how incredibly contagious it is.

When an adult or an older child gets RSV it is simply a cold...but, when a baby gets it they can be hospitalized and left with life-long respiratory problems. And, while our babies are big, strong, and healthy they were still almost 7 weeks premature. Premature babies are at a higher risk of complications from contracting RSV because of lung maturity.

So, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I want to keep that stinky virus as far away from my little monkeys as possible. It would definitely mean breathing treatments, could mean hospitalization, and worse...could mean life-long issues with asthma.

So, what does this mean for us?


PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not come to my house if you are ill, suspect you are becoming ill, or have had any symptoms of illness. Even if you think that your allergies are to blame. RSV shows up as a common cold in adults and some may have very minor symptoms.

No children are allowed to visit our house. Germs are easily spread by children and parents may be unaware of their symptoms until it is too late. RSV is extremely contagious and runs rampant in day cares, schools, and churches.

If you have been sick you must wait a minimum of 12 days from the onset of symptoms to visit our house. Most bugs will run about 7 days and I ask that you then wait an additional 5 days to ensure you are indeed well.

We require that adults who interact with them have their flu shots.

When you do visit...You are required to wash your hands and arms thoroughly and apply hand sanitizer. Think about where you have been prior to visiting our house. If you have been in a Dr.'s office surrounded by coughing and sneezing people, it's probably not a good idea to come over unless you shower and change clothes. The virus can last up to 6 hours on hands and 12 hours on hard surfaces! I'll also ask you to remove your shoes because they have been in all kinds of nasty places and my children have some sort of weird attraction to chewing on them. That's right, I have shoe lickers. Yuck.

But most of all, I just ask that you help me protect them. They are at an age where EVERYTHING goes in their mouth and much to my chagrin they do not possess good personal hygiene skills at this time. They can't protect themselves so we have to.

We are trapped at home until Easter. Can't say that sounds all that great. But, 3 sickies sounds much worse. These are the precautions we must take. We appreciate in advance to our friends and family for respecting these rules because I know we all want the best for these babies. Plus, if I found out that you got my babies sick with RSV....I will not be a happy camper.


This is the last winter we will be under strict precautions. We will make the best of it, grit our teeth, and pray for sanity for the long winter months. I swear I'm not a germ freak...just a freak to keep germs out of the house that could cause serious illness in my children.

Brian and I also have to be careful when leaving the house. If you have been sick, please let us know because we don't want to take those germs home with us.


I truly dread the next few months. We will not be leaving the house very much...which will get extremely old. Sadly, they will be turning 1 in just a few weeks so we will not be having a big birthday bash. Thanksgiving and Christmas will be small family get-togethers. BUT...We WILL NOT get sick...so it will be worth it.

2 comments:

Emily said...

You are such a good mom!!!!!

Carrie Baughman said...

Hey Girl long time no talk! Emily M. sent me your blog so that I could see what an awesome mom you are. We survived two years of lockdown and you can too! Although part of it was at OCH with you guys!

You are an amazing mom! I'm proud of you and your munchkins and you all look so happy and healthy. I'm so glad that you are "blogging" so I can keep up with you guys. Be sure to check out ours also so you can see how far Molly has come... thanks to all your had work :-)

Mine just turned two.. maybe we can get together in May and have a big 'ol play date :-)