Friday, July 18, 2008

This Teething Thing is For the Birds...

In most aspects I definitely feel like babies have it made. They're fed, changed, bathed, cuddled, and generally loved on as much as possible. People even wipe their butts. I mean, come on... how hard could their life be? Of course, there is that stage where their hands go a little crazy and they beat their own selves about the head and shoulders repeatedly. Oh yeah, then there was that stage where they would turn over on their bellies and couldn't get back. That was funny. Unless it was 2 am. Then it quickly became annoying. AND there is the endless embarassing pictures! I have some incredible footage of a tiny little naked Jack getting his very first bath...I'm sure when he's sixteen he's going to love this fantastic little pre-circumcision video. Can we say blackmail?

Then there is teething. It's like an all-systems failure of their little bodies. There is the massive leakage of drool from their mouths. Which they swallow...the result being a massive leakage of the other end. Then there is the spit-up...of the drool mixed with whatever else might be hanging out in their little tummies. Yum. There is the fever. There is the grunting, crying, whining, wiggling, and the demon that takes them over. This is also accompanied by a fairly nasty diaper rash. Let's not forget the incessant chewing, chomping, mouthing, and licking of everything that is within reach.


This is where we are. Three teething babies. Fun times. Three uncomfortable, irritable, and sad little babies. They still find lots of smiles and love for us, but it is fairly obvious that they just feel like poop. Today, they are on a hunger strike. My babies that are super eaters don't want anything to do with their bottles. So you can add hunger pains to the list of complaints. Unfortunately, it hurts to eat...and they are so impossibly unreasonable at times.


Last weekend Lily had 3 teeth break through her gums in 2 days. HORRIBLE. This makes a total of 5 teeth for her! There's one more coming in on the bottom as well. Jack has two on the bottom and is apparently working on more somewhere. He has been really fussy the last few days. Ben FINALLY got one today!


It feels like this will go on forever and ever. You feel so sorry for them. There's just no relief. Here's a fun fact for you. Over the next two years or so they will have 60 teeth come in. That's right. There are 20 baby teeth...times three! Now I feel sorry for me. So, only 52 more teeth to go. When is my next vacation???

The anger!

The frustration!
The sheer madness of it all!

3 comments:

Jeni said...

Oh honey, I feel for ya! There is NOTHING like teething poop. And it brings with it all the evilness you already mentioned. SO not jealous of you right now. I was never so glad than when the 2 year molars all broke through. Next up is John's 6 yr molars (which is coming up soon) but by then I can tell him to shut it and cry in his room! (Just kidding.... sort of....)

Crazy May Days said...

I second for nasty teething poop...I just have two teething at the same time and it is HORRIBLE! I just can't get the smell out of my nose...sort of like at OCH. Luckily for me Molly is cutting teeth 17,18,19,20 so we are almost done!! I have missed your updates! glad you are back!

Anonymous said...

OMG, this is like the most comprehensive blogging on raising kids I've ever seen! After reading this, there will be no surprises!

Seriously, good stuff. Glad to hear you all are doing well... CA